September 23, 2005

Warren Kimble

Nothing says 'Art of the People' like Folk Art. One of my favorite folk artist's is Warren Kimble.

This isn't a revelation. He's everyone's favorite folk artist. Generally, I steer clear of pop culture. And really most people wouldn't say that he falls in the realm of pop culture. But there's a certain 'well-marketed quality'. Thomas Kinkade is well marketed, but I don't want to put him in the same bucket as Thomas Kinkade. As far as I'm concerned, Thomas Kinkade painted one painting and has been selling it ever since. But that is a different subject.

I'm probably a fool for liking his stuff. But I just can't help myself. There's something about that 'American Cow' that just speaks to me...calling to me...in a quiet 'moo'.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Certainly, folk music is the heart of music. This is where the up and coming musicians are nurtured - where they're technique takes form. Gospel, bluegrass, the folk music of old england - these are where artists have the freedom to improvise, and develop their technique.

By the way I found you through your newsvine linques - I think we should get as many people who are interested in art, to vote up every article that looks promising on the art page, so we can get a better balance of interesting and inspiring articles on the front page there.

Tom DeForest said...

Agreed. I'm sending my invites to people who I think will be able to contribute to art and other valuable topics that are lower down on people's radar. With the internet, it's becoming more and more importan to hit a niche, than to get everyone's attention.